Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sleep

I think I was like any other mom and thought children sleep. I had no idea there would be fighting involved. I imagined rocking and singing my babies to sleep and then getting a ton done while they nap.

I was in for a rude awakening! Micah has never been a sleeper. He doesn't want to miss anything!

I hit my top level of frustration about a month ago and decided it was time to change some things about Micah's nap and bedtime routine. I went to the library, picked up a few books and decided to make a plan.

First, Micah would only have his Paci, bear, and blankie in the crib. He had been starting to ask for his "Pass" pretty often and would somehow find them even though I was hiding them.

Second, there would be no more rocking. I followed a friends' routine of reading books on the couch as a family before bedtime.

Thirdly, my goal was to have him laid in the crib awake so that he trained to put himself to sleep.

The first two days were pretty rough and I almost gave up after an hour and a half of crying. But, we are there! We traveled this past weekend and he even put himself to sleep at Grandma and Grandpa's! He knows that when he goes into his room for nap or bedtime, he gets a diaper change, and then can get his paci, bear, and blankie. I stand in the room holding him and sing 2 songs. I lay him down and most of the time he goes straight to sleep. Occasionally I will hear a little fuss but no more screaming!

The cutest thing is when he wakes up he says, "Bye Bye" to his paci, bear, and blankie and throws them into the crib :)


0 comments: